From your home, office, or library’s computer and from your phone, Virginia onAir and its Hub website will enable you to more quickly, easily, and effectively LEARN more about your representatives, candidates, and issues important to Virginians; DISCUSS your interests, concerns, opinions, and suggestions; and ENGAGE in supporting a more civil, and vibrant democracy in Virginia.
This post will provide you with an overview of how you can greatly increase your impact on politics through participating in Virginia onAir’s Hub, university chapters, and events … becoming a better informed voter and engaging more with governance at both the state and federal levels.
If you have any feedback or questions about the Hub content, email Virginia onAir Hub Curation Director: Yasmin Jaramillo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a member of the press or other media organization,email your questions about the Virginia onAir Hub to our Outreach Director: Katlyn Weiser at email@example.com.
If you have any general feedback or questions about the Virginia onAir Hub, email our Operations Director: Nader Momtaz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about the organizers behind Virginia onAir and its other state hubs, go this “About Us”post.
For Virginia Students
Young people represent the motivated, savvy population that helps Democracy onAir maintain our Hub. Students have the opportunity to be Curators on our Hub and help develop the Hub’s information and contacts with politicians.
For Virginia Politicians
Our site offers you the ability to engage and keep constituents performed with a much more agile and engaging experience than ever before.
Our network of Curators will help maintain content and online discussions for each politician and provide an all-in-one platform for constituent engagement.
For Virginia Advocates
Advocates of various issues important to Virginians will have an opportunity to contribute position papers, reviews, videos, and other types of content related to an issue. As premium members, they will be able to author new posts on issues and co-author existing posts on issues.
Advocates can sign up through an existing organization or individually.
For Virginia Residents
Virginia onAir offers the easiest, most centralized access point of nonpartisan information on your candidates and politicians. You can explore this resource through our “Who Represents You?” function on our home page, or by browsing by your district or region.
These profiles will give you everything you need to know about their contact information, backgrounds, issue stances, social media, and even exclusive video interviews. We also publish profiles of state policy Issues, with overviews, recent publications, and relevant government committees, agencies, and task forces.
The Virginia onAir Hub has posts on all current federal and state representatives and candidates for election in 2018 and 2019.
These guidelines developed by Democracy onAir determine the permissibility and impermissibility of speech and content on the Virginia Elections & Governance Hub and future hubs. These principles are meant to encourage civil and honest discourse without allowing for harassment or threats to personal safety. The full explanation of these principles can be found on out Curation Principles post. In case of any questions or concerns, please contact Executive Director Tim O’Shea at email@example.com .
- Research-driven content: Our choice and priorities of content will be formed by research on current topics, interviews and polling on information relevant to our target audience, and internal discussion.
- Full citation and credit: All included information will include source information and hyperlinks.
- Respect and inclusivity. Our platform is meant to promote an open discourse about current politics that is open for all users with that common goal. Any user or content that infringes on that goal will be removed from the platform and disciplined.
- Our takedown rules and guidelines will evolve as political discourse evolves. Our Curation Principles will undergo an annual review to ensure that they match the evolving nature of political discussion. All users will be fully notified of changes to the platform’s guidelines. Ad hoc reviews of rules and guidelines will also occur if needed, and Democracy onAir reserves the right to make case-by-case decisions if content does not fit cleanly into a category but nonetheless runs counter to our general principles.
Sharing information with third parties
Except where otherwise specified, all text added to the Hub is available for reuse under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial license.
When you submit to the VAO your email addresses, phone numbers, and addresses for any purpose, that data will only be used byVAO. VAO will not sell your information.
You also can, at any time, request that your information be removed from the VAO system. Such requests will be honored within one business day.
Terms of Service
All content in this site is under the Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial license which permits content sharing and adaptation as long as proper attribution is given to its author(s) and is used for non-commercial purposes. To learn more, go to Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial license.
Every post has a discussion section where registered Hub members can:
- Ask a post’s Curator questions
- Make suggestions
- Give endorsements
- Comment on issues
All moderation on onAir Hub forums will use our Civility Standards, which create scaled tiers of problematic speech and enforcement in order to maintain an inclusive and meaningful platform. Virginia onAir reserves the right to modify our Civility Standards in accordance with changing political atmospheres or newfound information.
ENGAGE as a Member
As a Chapter Member
Any Virginia resident can be a member of an onAir chapter, especially the public university nearest their residence within one of our five regions in Virginia. Chapters will be led by undergraduate students from a variety of backgrounds and academic disciplines. Students can participate via internships, experiential courses, research projects, student clubs, and their student governments. Virginia onAir is committed to ensuring that all interested students and residents have the opportunity to engage in politics regardless of their time constraints or location.
Other residents within a university community such as graduate students and adult learners, tenured and affiliate faculty, university administration and staff, alumni, and friends of the university can also be chapter members. Each onAir chapter will reach out to collaborate with other public universities, private colleges, and high schools in their larger communities.
The GMU onAir Chapter is the first and model chapter for Virginia onAir and other state Hubs.
Chapter members can:
- Curate and maintain posts on politicians and political issues
- Moderate discussions on posts about politicians or issues
- Aircast town hall shows
- Meet with politicians to discuss the Hub and it’s features, as well as record and post interviews
- Intern with Democracy onAir
Other ways to support the Virginia onAir Hub and chapter events include:
- Donating to Democracy onAir (our nonpartisan, nonprofit parent 501c3)
- Becoming a sponsor/advertiser on the Hub
- Purchasing a premium Virginia onAir membership
As a Hub Member
All that is required to be a Virginia onAir member is your first and last name, an email address, and your zip code.
- Your real name and any other profile information will NOT be displayed unless you choose to do so.
- Your personal information is NOT shared with any other website or organization.
Hub membership will enable you to:
- Comment on any Hub post,
- Interact directly with Post Authors and Curators giving them feedback, content suggestions, and asking questions
- Pose questions to politicians directly on their profile, and participate in discussions on their profiles related to specific issues
At the current time, Hub membership is by invitation only. Contact Nader Momtaz at firstname.lastname@example.org to request membership. Membership will be available to all Virginia residents on Oct. 25, 2019.
As an Advocacy Member
Any Virginia onAir member can become an Advocacy member. Advocacy membership costs $8 per month, and enables you to:
- Have a full member profile post
- Have the ability to author new posts on issues and co-author existing posts
- Receive preferential treatment at Chapter events
To become an Advocate, fill out this form.
ENGAGE as a Supporter
There are three primary ways of supporting Virginia onAir if you are not a Chapter, Hub, or premium member:
- Donate to Democracy onAir, the 501c3 organizing the Virginia onAir pilot Hub and other state Hubs in the US and abroad.
- Have your organization become a Hub Sponsor
- Volunteer to assist your closest university onAir Chapter
Donate to Democracy onAir
Donors can be any named individual or foundation (no anonymous donations permitted). Donors can support the entire Hub, a District and all the posts within it, an individual Post, and/or Curator profile.
Checks or wire transfers are made to Democracy onAir. Democracy onAir has 501C3 status so donations are tax deductible. Contact Nader Momtaz at email@example.com
Become a Hub Sponsor
Any individual and organization such as a government agency, university, NGOs or company can become a sponsor of this Hub. Sponsors can support the entire Hub, any Hub category and all the posts within it, and any individual post.
To become a sponsor, contact Nader Momtaz at firstname.lastname@example.org.