OneVirginia2021 is a leader in advocating for fair redistricting in the Commonwealth of Virginia. They are organizing through local, regional, and statewide efforts and rely on residents for support and participation.
OneVirginia2021 partners with individuals and organizations to raise awareness, provide information, and work with legislators to implement meaningful reformEvery decade, with recent results of the census in hand, legislative districts are drawn. Redrawing political lines is a powerful tool that determines who wins an election, controls the legislature, and ultimately which laws pass.
In Virginia, legislators create the criteria and draw their own districts. This is a manipulative process known as gerrymandering, and we must create a system that more fairly draws political lines.
Address: 409 E Main Street, Suite 203
Richmond, VA 23219
From OneVirginia website
- IN VIRGINIA, AUTHORITY FOR REDISTRICTING RESTS WITH THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY, WHOSE LEADERS HAVE PUT PARTY AND INCUMBENT ADVANTAGE BEFORE CONSTITUTIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR COMPACTNESS AND CONTIGUITY.
- LEGISLATORS HAVE DRAWN DISTRICT LINES TO FAVOR PARTISAN INTEREST SINCE THE EARLY DAYS OF THE REPUBLIC, BUT POWERFUL COMPUTERIZED MAPPING TOOLS AND DETAILED DEMOGRAPHIC DATA HAVE TURNED THE MAPMAKING INTO A WEAPON.
- THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF ELECTIONS ARE FOREGONE CONCLUSIONS. THE OUTCOMES ARE RIGGED TO FAVOR INCUMBENTS. YOU HAVE A VOTE — BUT NOT A VOICE.
- TRANSFER MAP-DRAWING FROM THE LEGISLATURE TO AN INDEPENDENT REDISTRICTING COMMISSION USING A TRANSPARENT PROCESS AND CLEAR RULES THAT PROTECT COMMUNITIES.
- PROHIBIT MAP-DRAWING WITH THE INTENT OF FAVORING A PARTY OR INDIVIDUAL.
- SPECIFY OTHER CRITERIA: COMPACTNESS; CONTIGUITY; AND RESPECT FOR COUNTY, TOWN, AND OTHER POLITICAL BOUNDARIES AND FOR COMMUNITIES OF INTEREST.
- TO APPLY REFORMS TO THE 2021 REDISTRICTING THAT WILL FOLLOW THE 2020 CENSUS, THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY MUST PASS AN AMENDMENT IN ITS 2019 AND 2020 SESSIONS, AND VOTERS MUST APPROVE IT IN NOVEMBER 2020.
- OUR GOAL IS TO EDUCATE VIRGINIANS ON THE REDISTRICTING PROCESS, WHAT GERRYMANDERING DOES TO OUR COMMUNITIES, AND HOW WE CAN MAKE REASONABLE, TANGIBLE REFORMS TO IMPROVE REPRESENTATION.
- WE EMPOWER PEOPLE TO CONTACT THEIR STATE REPRESENTATIVES WITH A PETITION FOR REFORM. WE HAVE AN INTERNAL GOAL OF ACHIEVING 1,000 PETITION SIGNERS PER HOUSE OF DELEGATE DISTRICT.
- AS OF APRIL 2018, WE HAVE OVER 72,000 SIGNATURES AROUND VIRGINIA.
- WE SUPPORT LITIGATION EFFORTS ON BOTH RACIAL AND POLITICAL GERRYMANDERING CASES IN VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, MARYLAND, AND NORTH CAROLINA.
GerryRIGGED: Turning Democracy On Its Head
Published Feb. 15, 2017 by OneVirginia2021
This video examines the historical context and consequences of gerrymandering through a multi-partisan lens that includes Republicans, Democrats, Independents, Libertarians and the Tea Party. The documentary explores the impact on communities and individual lives by including testimonials from strategists, political consultants, and map drawers, and by incorporating interviews with the men and women in politics who have the most to win – and perhaps lose – through reform.
The lead Curator for this post is Scott Joy. If you have any content you would like to add to this post, submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org. See Terms of Service to learn about the guidelines curators use to evaluate submissions and forum comments.
Any viewer can submit a question, suggestion, and/or endorsement for possible inclusion in this post and conveyance to the appropriate person(s) mentioned in the post.