The GMU onAir chapter is the first and model chapter for Virginia onAir.
Chapter Coordinator: Adia McLaughlin- email@example.com
Undergrad student members are affiliated with a number of GMU schools, departments, and programs including: Schar School of Policy and Government, the Department of Communication, and the Film and Video Studies program. A undergrad student club/student organization is also being formed to work in tandem with the GMU onAir Chapter.
GMU grad students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends of Mason also participate as chapter members. Virginia onAir Hub coordinators will be establishing, over the next year, onAir chapters throughout the state including at VCU, UVA, JMU, Virginia Tech, ODU, and William and Mary.
Chapter Member Activities
Chapter members commit to curating at least one politician’s profile post – an elected official or candidate. Curating these posts include:
- Communicating with a politician or their staff to insure profile content is accurate, current, and comprehensive
- Adding news and events
- Receiving emailed questions from post viewers and recording the politician’s answers in their profiles
- Moderating post comments and suggestions
- Assisting politicians with streaming their video updates then archiving them in the posts they are curating
- Producing video interviews of politicians and voters in the district they are curating
Chapter members also can assist with organizing, streaming, and editing chapter events such as town halls, debates, forums, and candidate days.
Chapter Member Benefits
Beyond helping to reinvigorate a more civil and vibrant democracy in their state, chapter members will:
- Have the same benefits as people and organizations that purchase premium memberships including a full member profile post and the ability to author or co-author issue related posts
- Be able to network Virginia elected officials and political organizations
- Acquire and develop their political communication and media skills
- Gain experience and credibility to pursue job opportunities including with Democracy onAir and other democracy promoting organizations