The GMU Democracy onAir chapter is the first and model chapter for Virginia onAir and the lead university chapter for Virginia.
Undergrad student members are affiliated with a number of GMU schools, departments, and programs including: Schar School of Policy and Government, the Department of Communication, and the Film and Video Studies program. A undergrad student club/student organization is also being formed to work in tandem with the GMU onAir Chapter.
GMU grad students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends of Mason participate as chapter members. Virginia onAir Hub coordinators also started onAir chapters at VCU and Virginia Tech.
Email: Democracy OnAir
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030
David Bulova Town Hall
Published on March 3, 2019
By: Virginia onAir
When: Saturday February 2nd at 9:00 to 11:00 am
Where: Fairfax City Hall Council Chambers at 10455 Armstrong Street (parking in rear of City Hall offices)
Web: Recorded by Nic Barta for Virginia onAir edited by Ny-jhee Jones.
Summary of the event – Go to this post.
Chapter members commit to curating at least one politician’s profile post – an elected official or candidate. Curating these posts include:
- Communicating with a politician or their staff to insure profile content is accurate, current, and comprehensive
- Adding news and events
- Receiving emailed questions from post viewers and recording the politician’s answers in their profiles
- Moderating post comments and suggestions
- Assisting politicians with streaming their video updates then archiving them in the posts they are curating
- Producing video interviews of politicians and voters in the district they are curating
Chapter members also can assist with organizing, streaming, and editing chapter events such as town halls, debates, forums, and candidate days.
Beyond helping to reinvigorate a more civil and vibrant democracy in their state, chapter members will:
- Have the same benefits as people and organizations that purchase premium memberships including a full member profile post and the ability to author or co-author issue related posts
- Be able to network Virginia elected officials and political organizations
- Acquire and develop their political communication and media skills
- Gain experience and credibility to pursue job opportunities including with Democracy onAir and other democracy promoting organizations